Friday 11 September 2015

West Yorkshire


The Pontefract Rock

It was a positive connection with Spain, earlier in the year, that really focussed my attention on Geotourism as a way to apply all of my professional skills, but I had already been exploring a few places in West Yorkshire during the previous few months – just for pleasure.

The Yellow Sands Formation

Looking at the geological map of the British Islands, which hangs on my office wall, much of the bedrock geology in West Yorkshire is essentially the same as found in South Yorkshire – Carboniferous sandstone, shale and coal, with Permian dolomitic limestone and Triassic sandstone overlying them – but I had never explored any of its natural rocky exposures.

The Oaks Rock

Using buses, trains and my own two feet, I have discovered a few places that I will certainly add to an itinerary of field trips; the geology, ancient monuments, architecture and art of West Yorkshire are all waiting to be seen and fully appreciated.

Kirkstall Abbey