Sunday 15 November 2015

Carl Wark


A view of Carl Wark

Of the RIGS that I surveyed in the Peak District National Park, I identified the area around the top of the Burbage Valley as one of the best sites for education and geotourism; on a bright Sunday in mid September I took a much closer look.

An example of biodegradation in peat

For pleasure, I have always preferred to explore cities than taking long walks in rugged upland places and, with geological fieldwork relating to Geoconservation having effectively dried up, it had been a long time since I had dusted off my walking boots – when seeing the view of Carl Wark, it made me realise that I am not as young and healthy as I used to be.

A view of the scramble to the top of Carl Wark

Nonetheless, once I got going and had scrambled up to the top of Carl Wark, after crossing the muddy banks of Burbage Brook – where I had seen oily water seep from the peat – there are some spectacular views of the surrounding geology and geomorphology.

A view of Burbage Rocks from Carl Wark

Like Higger Tor and Burbage Rocks, which is one of the spectacular gritstone edges that form much of the eastern boundary of the Peak District National Park, the distinctive topography of Carl Wark is the result of the erosion of the Chatsworth Grit and associated shales, of Namurian age  it is also the site of an Iron Age fort, with substantial remains of an embankment and stone wall.

A view of Carl Wark from Higger Tor

Although the thick rock scree on three sides of the site obviously added to its defensive qualities, it is not that easy to study the large rock faces close up; however, the large boulders, which are slowly slipping down into the valley below, provide many opportunities to study the sedimentary structures and weathering of the very coarse, pebbly gritstone that is found here.

Pebbly Chatsworth Grit (20p coin = 21mm diameter)